Litecoin is a peer-to-peer cryptocurrency community and open-source challenge that expands upon the unique know-how behind Bitcoin. Litecoin was among the many 1st altcoins to enter the market and is at the moment the seventeenth largest cryptocurrency on the planet in market capitalization. Litecoin affords numerous tradeoffs for customers in contrast Bitcoin, together with sooner processing speeds and decrease transaction prices.
Merely Put: Is Litecoin a Good Funding?
Whereas Litecoin does structurally enhance upon Bitcoin’s know-how, it nonetheless presents dangers to traders. Litecoin’s quickly growing older infrastructure is now not as distinctive because it was when the coin debuted in 2011, with many altcoins now providing the identical advantages and effectivity. Litecoin’s founder, Charles Lee, additionally offered his stake in Litecoin in 2017, which has affected investor confidence.
Litecoin’s major aim was to create a model of Bitcoin that’s extra scalable and aimed toward small funds. Whereas it does obtain this aim to a sure extent, newer blockchain improvements equivalent to Stellar Lumens do a a lot better job than Litecoin. In 2021, Litecoin is formally a dinosaur coin, and presents particularly excessive danger for a prime 20 crypto challenge. For extra trendy altcoin choices, see Best Altcoins in 2021.
The place to Put money into Litecoin
Investing in Litecoin (or some other sort of cryptocurrency) usually begins by opening an account with a crypto change. A crypto change affords you entry to a buying and selling platform the place you should purchase and promote cryptocurrencies by putting purchase and promote orders.
There are dozens of exchanges providing entry to the cryptocurrency market. A number of the components you may need to contemplate whenever you select a dealer may embody:
- Coin entry. There are millions of cryptocurrencies in existence, and no single dealer will will let you purchase and promote all of them. It may be useful to make a listing of cryptocurrencies past Litecoin that you simply need to spend money on to make sure that the dealer you select suits all your wants.
- Buying and selling platform. Some crypto brokers deal with offering a easy, streamlined ordering course of, whereas others attraction to extra superior traders with charting platforms and evaluation instruments. Your expertise buying and selling will decide which kind of platform is finest on your wants.
- Charges and commissions. Most cryptocurrency brokers cost a payment or fee on every crypto buy or sale you make. Analysis every dealer’s payment schedule earlier than you open an account, as charges can shortly minimize into your income if you happen to’re a frequent dealer.
Unsure the place to start your search? Think about opening an account with a number of of our favourite beginner-friendly exchanges providing entry to Litecoin.
Disclosure: eToro USA LLC; Investments are topic to market danger, together with the potential lack of principal.
eToro is a cryptocurrency buying and selling platform that gives you with entry to a few of the world’s hottest cryptocurrencies. Commerce Litecoin, Bitcoin, Ethereum and extra with real-time knowledge monitoring and top-level safety. You may even observe your buying and selling technique earlier than you enter the market with eToro’s digital buying and selling pockets, which supplies you $100,000 price of faux cash to commerce with.
One in all eToro’s most original options is its spread-based fee schedule. eToro doesn’t cost a flat-rate share payment in your transactions, and in contrast to most different brokers, eToro doesn’t cost a payment on each purchase and promote orders. As a substitute, you’ll pay a single unfold regardless of whenever you purchase and promote.
Say eToro’s present unfold for Litecoin is 1.90%. In case you place 1 order to buy 100 Litecoins at $80 every, you’ll pay a payment of $152 (1.90% of your $8,000 order worth). If the worth of Litecoin then will increase to $85 and also you resolve to promote, eToro will add a payment of $9.50 in your promote order. It’s because 1.90% of your promote order worth ($8,500) is $161.50, and also you’ve already paid $152 in charges, so it’s essential to solely pay the excellent stability.
This distinctive payment schedule additionally works in reverse. For instance, let’s say that you simply purchase 100 Litecoin at $80 and pay $152 in charges. Then, the worth drops to $75, and also you resolve to promote. On this case, you’d obtain $9.50 again from eToro. It’s because the unfold payment solely applies to the ultimate value of the promote order. Additionally, 1.90% of $7,500 is $142.50, and also you paid $152 whenever you positioned your purchase order — eToro will give you a credit score for the distinction ($9.50). This distinctive pricing mannequin will help you handle losses extra successfully.
Coinbase is among the many largest and hottest cryptocurrency investing platforms on the planet, with 35 million verified customers and 100 supported international locations. With 39 cryptocurrencies accessible to Coinbase customers within the U.S., it affords a various vary of alternatives for traders. From main names like Uniswap and Aave to smaller choices like OMG Coin and Cosmos, there are many alternatives to find on Coinbase’s platform.
Coinbase is standard with learners particularly because of the platform’s intuitive format and easy account signups. Most customers will have the ability to open an account in only a few minutes, and you may place your order with a number of clicks from your own home display screen. Coinbase can also be 1 of just a few brokerages that means that you can purchase cryptocurrency utilizing a bank card. This could be a nice possibility if you happen to aren’t comfy linking your bank account to your Coinbase account immediately.
After you make your buy, you’ll be able to monitor your holdings on-line — Coinbase will routinely create a graph that shows how your portfolio’s worth is altering over time. The platform even means that you can schedule recurring deposits that will let you routinely authorize investments on a schedule you set.
Excited about studying extra in regards to the crypto market earlier than you make investments? Coinbase’s distinctive “Earn” characteristic means that you can watch a number of brief beginner-friendly movies in regards to the know-how that helps every coin provided on the platform. After you study, you’ll be able to reply a number of quiz-style questions on every crypto. For every query you reply accurately, you’ll earn a small quantity of free crypto, which you’ll see in your account. Coinbase Earn will be a wonderful strategy to discover coin choices and begin your portfolio with out spending any cash.
Gemini is a cryptocurrency change and custodian that gives traders entry to 26 cash and tokens. Based within the US, Gemini is increasing globally, particularly into Europe and Asia. Choices embody each main cryptocurrency tasks like Bitcoin and Ethereum, and smaller altcoins like Orchid and 0x.
Gemini is 1 of the one brokers with a number of platform choices based mostly on ability stage. New traders will love the streamlined interface of Gemini’s cell and net apps, whereas superior traders may admire all of the instruments that include ActiveTrader.
Along with a number of platform selections, Gemini customers even have entry to insured scorching wallets to retailer tokens with out worrying about digital asset theft. And Gemini affords numerous distinctive options over competing cryptocurrency brokers, together with:
- A spread of platform choices. Gemini affords each a normal, easy net interface in addition to a extra superior ActiveTrader platform. This lets you customise your Gemini expertise to your buying and selling ability stage.
- Huge number of cryptocurrency choices. Gemini supplies assist for a various mixture of 48 cryptocurrencies, starting from main tasks to smaller altcoins.
- Dynamic value alert options. Cell traders will love the Gemini app’s alert options, which let you obtain a push notification when an asset you’re keen on reaches a predetermined value goal. You may even set alerts to tell you when an asset will increase or decreases in value by a predefined share.
Benefits of Litecoin Investments
As among the many 1st altcoins available on the market, Litecoin usually holds its worth higher than newer altcoins with decrease market capitalizations. Let’s check out a number of of some great benefits of the Litecoin community and know-how.
- Decrease transaction prices. Litecoin’s know-how affords numerous enhancements on Bitcoin’s infrastructure, together with decrease transaction prices. If you ship Bitcoin from wallet to pockets, you lose a little bit of crypto because the transaction is verified on the blockchain. Although Litecoin operates in a really related method, its community is extra environment friendly than Bitcoin, which signifies that you lose much less cash whenever you provoke or obtain a switch. This can be a main profit for customers who flip to cryptocurrency for its advantages as a safe cash switch system.
- Quicker transaction speeds. Litecoin’s improved community doesn’t solely lengthen to processing charges — it additionally allows customers to ship cash a lot sooner when in comparison with Bitcoin’s blockchain. The typical Litecoin transaction takes about 2.5 minutes to finish, whereas the common Bitcoin transaction closes in a mean of 10 minutes.
- Open-source platform. Litecoin is constructed upon a naturally open-sourced fork of the BTC Core Shopper. This makes it a lot simpler for builders to regulate the system and implement new options to maintain up with the altering wants of the market. Its flexibility additionally permits builders to implement software program safety patches frequently to maintain up with hackers’ altering strategies of assault.
- Recognizability. Litecoin has been round for fairly some time, and has remained one of the vital well-known altcoins regardless of its trendy technological irrelevance.
Disadvantages of Litecoin Investments
Like all sort of latest know-how, Litecoin additionally has drawbacks. Let’s check out a number of of the cons that you need to be conscious of earlier than you make investments.
- Competing altcoins that supply related advantages. Litecoin was very early to the market and among the many first altcoins to increase upon Bitcoin’s community. Whereas it nonetheless holds its personal in velocity and effectivity, many different extra inexpensive cryptocurrencies working on their very own blockchain provide related processing instances and transaction safety.
- Much less Safety. Whereas Bitcoin stays essentially the most decentralized cryptocurrency in existence, and due to this fact the toughest to 51% assault, Litecoin lags behind in hash energy because the community struggles to draw new customers within the ever extra aggressive altcoin house.
- Shaky religion in management. A significant draw to Litecoin was its improvement by Charles Lee, a former Google software program engineer and a revered title within the cryptocurrency business. Lee offered all of his stake in Litecoin in 2017, citing a perceived “battle of curiosity.” This has referred to as management’s religion within the coin and its future into query.
Put money into Altcoins
Although Litecoin does provide a number of long-standing advantages over Bitcoin and is at the moment the thirteenth largest cryptocurrency by market capitalization, it’s vital to keep in mind that the crypto business remains to be largely unregulated.
In case you resolve to spend money on Litecoin (or some other altcoin) at all times work via a trusted change — and by no means make investments more cash than you’ll be able to afford to lose.
Associated content material: Litecoin vs. Ethereum
Benzinga crafted a particular methodology to rank cryptocurrency exchanges and instruments. We prioritized platforms based mostly on choices, pricing and promotions, customer support, cell app, person expertise and advantages, and safety. To see a complete breakdown of our methodology, please go to see our Cryptocurrency Methodology web page.